I was nominated for an award. These things are pretty awesome, because it means someone else looked at my blog and thought, that blog deserves an award. And that someone else wasn’t my mom, so double win. My new friend Julie at Next Life No Kids nominated me, which I think is pretty frickin’ awesome considering our first conversation was an argument that ended in a mutual agreement that cheese is awesome (cheese was unrelated to the original argument). All arguments should end that way.
*Note: for once, Google failed me. I typed in “queen cheese” and no pictures of cheese with a crown came up (though a surprising number of girls in dumb trucker hats did pop up). So, I made the above masterpiece myself. All hail the queen.
Since I have found myself with a plethora of free time since finishing my CNA course (CNA standing for Certified Nurse Assistant or Chuck Norris Approved, depending on my mood), I’m diving right into this. Because there are strings with this award. I can’t just put a sweet badge on my blog, I gotta work for this thing (Whomp, whomp)! Who am I kidding – I love writing about myself so of course I don’t mind. Though some would say I have a problem being told what to do, so we’ll see how this goes…
- List 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions given to you.
- Ask 11 new questions to the bloggers you nominate
- Choose 11 bloggers (with 200 or less followers) to nominate.
- Visit each bloggers page and tell them about the award.
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them
- No track backs (so we’re clear, I still have no idea what this means) <—- Julie had this in her rules and I left it because I, too have no idea what this means
I wonder what the deal is with all the 11’s? I suddenly realize that I have a thing for even, round numbers because this emphasis on 11 vaguely bothers me. Does that count as my first fact? Nah, just consider it a bonus.
11 Facts about MEEEEEE
- I was the Coos County (Oregon) Spelling Bee Champion in 2nd, 3rd, and 5th grades. 4th and 6th grades, I lost 1st place to some d-bag whose name I totally don’t still remember (bitter, much?).
- I was the Forum Editor for my community college newspaper. I was nominated for this position because it’s been said I like to complain about things. Strangely, the position suited me.
- I flunked out of sailing school when I was 10 or 11. I crashed one of the small boats into my best friend and decided that was enough sailing for me.
- I love Disney movies. One of the best fringe benefits of having a kid is getting to watch all those classic movies. NOTE: Home on the Range is not in this category; please don’t ever make the mistake of exposing your child to this particular Disney movie. He will want to watch it incessantly and it does, in fact, suck.
- I’m slightly obsessed with playing bingo. Senior years, I’m ready for you!
- I just discovered the other day that my favorite type of pizza is sausage and banana peppers. Wonder if that will still taste good on a cauliflower crust?
- ^^I ask that question because I try to eat somewhat Paleo. I did a 21 day sugar detox a while ago and felt fantastic afterward.
- I am addicted to caffeine and I am ok with that.
- I quit smoking cigarettes a few years ago. I’ve had a few lapses since officially quitting, but have never fully gone into a relapse. It’s been almost a year since my last cigarette and I’m pretty stoked on that.
- I really miss my cat, Lola. She passed away 2 years ago. I was there, stroking her head and telling her how much I loved her when she passed. It still hurts because I still blame myself for not seeing her sickness until it was too late.
- I am an only child, but my parents have since adopted two Pomeranians who are very annoying little brothers.
Whew! Now for some more fascinating information about me as I answer the questions Julie wrote:
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? Probably Israel and the Middle East. I’m fascinated by the Bible as a historical document and it would be crazy amazing to see some of those places in person.
- Who in your life has had the most influence on you or your writing? My son, no doubt. He inspires most of my writing (since I write primarily about motherhood and breastfeeding). He also makes me want to be a better person.
- On a scale of 1-10, how attractive do you think you are? Please explain. 🙂 Ack! Shoot, I guess I’d say I’m a 6? I’m trying to love and accept my body for what it is and not be angry at it for what it isn’t. I like my blue eyes, I like my dimples and I’m learning to like my curly hair.
- Horror film or chic flick? If it’s a horror film from the 80s, count me in. I love all those super cheesy horror films that still make me crap my pants – Monkey Shines, Ghoulies, Pumpkinhead, Child’s Play, Puppet Master, Freddie movies, Jason movies. The 80s sure knew how to scare and entertain at the same time.
- How long have you been blogging? I launched www.youareagoodmama.com in September 2012. This is the first time I’ve consistently blogged. I’ve started other blogs (I have like 9 WordPress addresses) but have never gotten past one or two posts.
- What is your biggest pet peeve? People who drive with their blinker on. OMG, are you turning or are you not??? MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!
- Do you have any bad habits we should know about? Yes – I have several character defects that I’m working on! Stay tuned for a future post about those 🙂
- What’s your favorite blog to follow? Why? Hmm, depends on the reason. For humor, I love Martinis or Diaper Genies and Baby Sideburns. Seriously hysterical. For levelheaded parenting stuff, I like PhD in Parenting. For everything breastfeeding, I adore The Leaky Boob.
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve been given? Forgive yourself.
- What’s the worst piece of advice you’ve been given? A wedge haircut would look great on you.
- What is the first thing you would do if I gifted you a million dollars? Look at you suspiciously, then grab the money and run, laughing maniacally. Then when I’d come to my senses, I’d do something awesome for you to say, Hey thanks for the million dollars, buddy! After that, I’d give the rest to my husband to manage because he is so much better at managing money than I am.
Jennifer at Half Crunchy Mom
Aprille at Beautiful in His Time
Arielle at Their World We Live In
Kristen at it.started.with.a.bump
Nikki at Thirty Something Mom
Meredith at From Meredith to Mommy
Michiko at There’s Something About Michiko
Sara at I Choose Joy (she recently posted she’s taking a much-needed break from blogging. But mark her for the future!)
*Yes, I realize there are only 8 when the instructions said 11. I’m new, I don’t know that many bloggers yet! Plus, slipping in an even number is calming me down.
My questions for the lovely nominees:
- What’s your favorite childhood memory?
- If you could do any job in the world (money/education no object), what would you do and why?
- You’re stuck on a desert island that has food, water and shelter (your basic survival needs are met). What 3 things would you wish to have with you and why?
- What person, dead or alive, is your hero?
- What’s your favorite animal?
- What’s your go-to snack?
- What inspired you to start your blog?
- What’s your favorite type of music?
- Which cartoon character would you most want to hang out with?
- Is there anything that makes you giggle uncontrollably?
- What’s your favorite flower?